Finding accommodation in Canada is one of the first things you would need to figure out right after you have received your Working Holiday Visa for Canada. You might need to find temporary accommodation in Canada first so that you can take time to look for one that suits your work route and budget and appeals to you as a home for two years in Canada.

Before you arrive in Canada, you may wish to book well in advance, you can book yourself at Hostels or hotels, or Airbnb. If your budget is limited while you stay in temporary accommodation, Hostelworld has an extensive collection of short-term accommodation to suit any budget. Booking self-catering accommodation — perhaps for a few weeks, or even a month or two — is also a practical way to line up temporary accommodation in Canada for your arrival. There are several types of rental accommodation in Canada, including houses, condominiums, and apartments.

Some houses will be available to rent in their entirety, while some will be divided into several units. In other houses for rent in Canada, rental rooms are available, with shared living and bathroom facilities.

Apartments for rent in Canada range from ‘bachelor’ units, where a single room serves as both the bedroom and living area, to those with multiple bedrooms and separate living areas. You can also search on Facebook for people looking for roommates as that works beautifully to share the cost of the accommodation. We do have some jobs that offer accommodation along with the job to clients coming on Canada visa working holiday.

The cost of utilities, such as electricity and water, may or may not be included in your rent.  You can find houses and apartments for rent in Canada in the classifieds section of local newspapers, libraries, and on websites such as Kijiji and Craigslist. Facebook groups for newcomers (holiday working visa Canada) to Canada are also useful. In many cities, you can simply walk around your preferred neighborhood, as landlords will post signs outside their property advertising available vacancies. Landlord and tenant regulations vary across Canada. Different government departments or ministries, in each province and territory, oversee these laws. A rental agreement is a contract between a landlord and a tenant. It’s also called a lease. This legal document lets you live in a home (e.g., apartment, condominium, or house) for which you will have to pay rent.

For more information on what your lease should include, check out the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) page on renting your first apartment.