UK Fiancé visa

If you are the fiancé or proposed civil partner of a British Citizen in the UK or permanent resident present and settled in the UK, and you intend to marry in the UK and live in the UK afterwards, You may be eligible for the fiancé or proposed civil partner visa.

This visa must be obtained outside the UK and cannot be issued inside the UK.

Find out if you could qualify!

Eligibility requirements age

You and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application.


  • You must show evidence of intended marriage or civil partnership to have the visa granted.
  • You must intend to get married or register your civil partnership within 6 months of your arrival in the UK, and settle here together afterwards.
  • Your partner is not related to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK law.
  • You and your partner have met in person.
  • Your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsisting (It is a current, long-term relationship and you are living together with your partner and share responsibility with your partner for any children.
  • You share financial responsibilities with your partner (mortgage or tenancy agreement, a joint bank account or joint savings, and utility bills in both your names).
  • You and your partner have met other partner’s parents in their home. You have made plans about living together in the UK with your partner.
  • In the case of an arranged marriage, you and your partner should both consent to the marriage and agree with the plans made by your families.).
  • You must be seeking entry to the UK to allow your marriage or civil partnership to take place.
  • You and Your partner intend to permanently live in UK.

Suitability requirements

Your application will NOT be considered as suitable, if

  • The Home Secretary has decided that it would be in the public interest for you to be excluded from the UK.
  • You are the subject of a deportation order.
  • You have been sentenced to more than 12 months in prison.
  • If you have been sentenced and your conviction is not yet spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
  • Your character, conduct, associations are unsuitable for the public.
  • You have not attended an interview, provided information, had a medical examination or produced a medical report when asked to do so.
  • There are medical reasons why you should not be allowed to enter the UK.
  • You have provided false information or documents or not told us relevant information.
  • You have NHS charges of more than £1000 that have not been paid.
  • You do not provide a maintenance and accommodation undertaking when they are requested.
  • You have been sentenced to more than 4 years in prison.
  • You have been sentenced to more than 12 months but less than 4 years in prison, unless it is more than 15 years since the end of your sentence.

Previous relationships

Any previous relationships are permanently broken down. However, this does not apply to certain polygamous relationships.

Financial requirements

  • You must have an income of at least £18,600 per annum.
  • If you are sponsoring a child as well as a partner you will need an income of at least £22,400 per annum. And an additional £2,400 per annum for each additional child being sponsored after the first one.
  • You will be required to provide documents to show that you can meet the financial requirement. The way you meet the requirement will be different, depending on whether you are applying from inside or outside the UK.

You will be exempt from the new financial requirement if your sponsor receives a specified disability-related benefit or carer’s allowance in the UK. You will need to show that your sponsor can maintain and accommodate you without access to public funds.

English language requirements

English requirements for non-European applicants.
You must meet the English language requirement and must show evidence that you:

  • Are a national of a majority English-speaking country.
  • Have passed a specific English language test at the appropriate level.
  • Hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or above.


You do not need to meet the English language requirement if you provide satisfactory evidence that:

  • You are aged 65 or over when you make your application.
  • You have a physical or mental condition which would prevent you from meeting the requirement.
  • There are exceptional compassionate circumstances which would prevent you from meeting the requirement.

Length of stay

Normally the fiancé or proposed civil partnership visa is valid for 6 months in which time you must marry or declare civil partnership. You must not work during this time.

After you have married or registered your civil partnership, you can apply for permission to remain here as the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen or settled person.

If you application is approved, you will receive permission to live and work here for 2 years. Near the end of the 2 years, you can apply to settle here permanently if you are still married or civil partners and intend to live together.

Our online assessment form.

About Alliance Visas

Welcome to Alliance Visas. We are a registered migration and visa services firm. We are not the official body or affiliated with the government.

At Alliance Visas we do not share your details with any third party. We provide a no obligation assessment without any cost to all applicants, please fill our assessment to find out your eligibility for a visa.

Eligibility Assessment

Note: If multiple then use comma( , )