Taking a working holiday visa in Canada is a wonderful choice for this big adventure you’re about to embark on. With a variety of small towns, big cities, and a stunning wilderness, Canada is guaranteed to impress.

However, before you make the final decision and apply for your working holiday visa in Canada with the help of Alliance Visas, there are four things that you’ll need to look into. You’ll need to look into Canada’s requirements for applying to their working holiday visa program, the language, the currency and obtaining an SIN.

An overview of Canadas application requirements

Before you apply for a Canada working holiday visa (IEC Canada visa), you’ll need to look into Canada’s working holiday visa application requirements. These requirements vary based on the applicant’s country of citizenship. The three primary pieces of information you’ll want to pay attention to are:

  • Age requirements
  • Citizenship requirements
  • Financial requirements

Canada does not have working holiday agreements with every country involved in the working holiday visa exchange program, but they are in partnership with most of them. For most countries, the age requirements are between 18 and 35, but there are a handful of countries where the age limit stops at 30. Financial requirements also vary country to country and can vary pending if you are applying as a single applicant or couple. Alliance Visas can provide you with all of the information you need on these topics for your working holiday visa for Canada.

The language

Keep in mind that whereas the majority of Canada does speak English, Quebec’s primary spoken language is French and much of Canada also speaks the language to some extent. It would be beneficial for you to have a basic understanding of French for your trip. Consider taking an online French course or brining a dictionary that translates your native language into the French equivalent in case it’s needed on your travels!

The currency

The Canadian currency is referred to as CAD – the Canadian dollar – and to locals it’s often referred to as the “loonie”. CAD is simple to use as well as exchange. You’ll need to arrive with your native country’s currency and exchange it for the CAD equivalent amount upon arrival. This can often be done in the airport’s international sectors or at border crossings, banks, and some local shopping malls.

Obtaining an SIN

An SIN is a Social Insurance Number and is required to work in Canada and access government programs. You can obtain a temporary SIN if you are in the country on a working holiday visa in Canada that will not effect your home country citizenship.

SIN’s can be obtained at any Service Canada office by providing them with your passport documents, Canada address, and working permit. Do not wait to get an SIN from your job as they are going to need it to get you started. You can still apply and receive a job without the SIN, but you’ll need it before the first day of work.

Now that you know the four main pieces of information to prepare you for applying to a working holiday visa in Canada, you can get started on applying for the visa if the interest still suits you! Alliance Visas is ready and willing to assist on this journey, making it as smooth as possible for you. Get going and enjoy your trip!