Studying in the UK opens doors to opportunities and provides a life-changing experience. The UK offers international students an academic experience that is very hard to beat. From their world-recognised universities to their innovative approach to teaching and the leading minds who deliver it, the UK has what you need to reach your potential. The UK has some of the most world recognised universities in the world. Whilst studying in the UK there will be an endless number of ways to enjoy yourself, learn new things and make new friends!
You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:
- have been offered a place on a course
- can speak, read, write and understand English
- have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
- are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:
- up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
- up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months
How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you’re doing and what study you’ve already completed.
You may be able to stay longer to continue your course or study a new one.
- meet the eligibility requirements of this visa
- be in the UK
- have a sponsor
You can only apply to extend your leave to study if your current sponsor is:
- a higher education institute
- an oversea HEI
- an embedded college offering pathway courses
- an independent school
You must include your dependants in your application if they’re on your current visa, including children who have turned 18 during your stay.